In case no one has told you yet, Sunday is Mother’s Day — call your mom! Or even better, take your mom out to celebrate her. Treat her to a delicious meal, take her to an art show or a movie, and thank her for all she’s done for you over wine and live music. The possibilities are endless! Plan your perfect day by checking out our list of 11 Things to Do This Weekend. Happy Mother’s Day!
- Commemorate a graduation, an anniversary, Mother’s Day or just the fact that it’s finally Friday night at the Yard House! Happy Hour is from 3-6 p.m. Friday and from 9:30 p.m.-11 p.m. Sunday, and includes $2 off all draft beer, wine, spirits and cocktails – so you can raise a glass filled with whatever drink your heart desires! Be sure to also check out the $3 off 9 oz bottles of wine, $4 off Half Yards, and select half-priced appetizers (boneless wings, fried mac and cheese, Moo Shu egg rolls!) and pizzas (pepperoni and mushroom anyone?).
- Kenny’s Italian Kitchen is the perfect spot for an ice-cold drink — they do serve Grey Goose Vodka on tap at 28 degrees after all! Come in from 2-7 p.m. Friday for $4 wells, $5 house wines and $1 off beers. Or, splurge for a specialty martini, like the sweet Peartini, or a specialty cocktail, like the Texas Spicy Margarita.
- Make your mom feel like a queen by taking her to Mother’s Day Brunch at Table 13 this Sunday from 11 a.m.-4 p.m., accompanied by the lovely sounds of Mike Nicosia. For $39.99 a person, you can choose a savory starter, like Caesar salad, chilled shrimp cocktail or smoked salmon; a main course, including filet mignon, pork tenderloin and steak and eggs; and a dessert, such as Mom’s Banana Pudding, chocolate torte and lemon poppy seed bundt cake. Pair this with a $5 mimosa or Bloody Mary! More information, including details on the full menu and a link for reservations, can be found here.
- Mother’s Day Brunch is available all day at III Forks Steakhouse, where adults can enjoy a three-course menu for $49 a person from 11 a.m.- 8 p.m. Enjoy appetizer options of a steakhouse wedge, III Forks Salad or asparagus soup; an entree choice of aged Midwestern beef tenderloin, filet mignon benedict, crab cake benedict, pan-seared Alaskan halibut or chicken marengo; and finish with a dessert, such as Mandarin orange cake, mixed berry shortcake, chocolate marquis torte or peach melba. Don’t forget to make reservations in advance!
- Nothing is sweeter than your mother — except the chocolate fondue at The Melting Pot! Take her here for Mother’s Day weekend, with reservations available Friday and Saturday from 5-11 p.m. and Sunday from noon-8 p.m. The meal starts with cheese fondue, with your choice of Green Goddess Cheddar, Creamy Crab and Pesto Walnut. This is followed by a salad course (we recommend the fresh Watermelon and Feta!) and the entree course. Choose one of the delicious options on the Mom’s Combination for $45 per person or the Mom Knows Best options for $55 per person. Finally end on a (sugar) high with dessert, which is a chocolate fondue and your choice of White Chocolate Blueberry Pie, Flaming Turtle and Dark and Dulce.
- Catch live music every night this weekend at Mercy Wine Bar. Kicking off the tunes on Friday night from 8-11 p.m. is JJMAX, known for his classic vocal technique, easy-listening style and jazz influences. He also often incorporates his love of instruments – guitar, piano, harmonica and ukulele — into his performances! On Saturday from 8-11 p.m., the David Gallegos Band takes the stage. This Nuevo Flamenco guitarist blends traditional flamenco sounds with peaceful New Age melodies to create a soothing musical experience. Finally, hear Jack Mason from 7-9 p.m. Sunday. This international performer uses his electric guitar and energetic voice to create an upbeat show.
- Skip the flowers and get mom a one-of-a-kind, handcrafted gift for Mother’s Day, which can be found at the Urban Artist Market on Friday and Saturday at the Addison Conference and Theatre Centre! More than 70 local artisans will be showing off their art, sculptures, pottery, jewelry, libations and desserts for the community to admire and enjoy. In addition, you can also eat from onsite food trucks, watch live demonstrations and attend a VIP reception benefitting the Hispanic 100 on Friday night.
- See the beautiful nature scenery of New York’s Central Park and the New York countryside at the Bogomir Bogdanovic exhibition and book release party from 1-5 p.m. May 11 at Southwest Gallery. Bogdanovic’s newly published book showcases his life of painting and chronicles his commitment to art. This book release is accompanied by an exhibit of some of his most well-executed work in oil, pastel and watercolor, which will be showcased at Southwest Gallery throughout the month of June.
- Take the leading lady in your life to see The Hustle, premiering at LOOK Cinemas this weekend, featuring leading ladies Anne Hathaway (Ocean’s Eight) and Rebel Wilson (Isn’t It Romantic). This hilarious duo star as scam artist from different backgrounds, who work together to take down rotten men who’ve wronged them.
- Goat Yoga is officially back in town! Come to Addison Circle Park this Saturday at 10 a.m. and bring your yoga mat. While you’re doing Downward Dog with the community, adorable pet goats will wander around (and on top of) you, making for cute photo opportunities and a much more distracting workout!
- Support a good cause while drinking beer at the Brews for Brains event at Bitter Sisters from noon-4 p.m. Saturday. When you purchase three beers for $15, Bitter Sisters will donate $5 to the Alzheimer’s Association, a nonprofit that raises funds and awareness for the cure, support and research of Alzheimer’s.