Welcome to March – a month with warmer weather (hopefully!), the first day of spring and plenty of opportunities to have a good time! Admire unique art made from empty Girl Scouts cookie boxes, eat spicy Tex-Mex and celebrate Mardi Gras at one of the many local events going on in the Corridor. Our guide of 9 Things to Do This Weekend has everything you need to know!
1. Fresh lime, strong tequila, ice and a salted rim make for the perfect Friday evening drink! Get one for $5 when you visit Meso Maya from 4–7 p.m. In addition to the house margaritas, you can also get wine, wells, select beer, queso and guacamole for just $5. This is the next best thing to relaxing on a beach somewhere in Mexico!
2. Bring out the beads – it’s Mardi Gras time! Bitter Sisters Brewery is hosting a Beads and Beer event on Saturday from 11 a.m.–9 p.m., where guests can enjoy delicious beer specials to wash down their King Cake. Still hungry? Mells Grill will be onsite, serving their savory meats that taste amazing with the beer. Each guest will also get beads and a chance to win a tour and tasting package!
3. Texans have a lot of pride – especially when it comes to Tex-Mex. Honor your heritage by eating at Blue Mesa Grill this weekend, home of Texas Toothpicks with Queso (grilled mesa panna bread with three meat skewers), Street Tacos with your choice of meat and Dark Chocolate Empanadas. If you go on Sunday, be sure to sign up for Paint Nite by Yaymaker from 6-8 p.m. This fun event will teach you how to create a beautiful masterpiece with your own hands, which you can take home and proudly display. Even if you have never picked up a paintbrush before, you will have a great time expressing your creativity (especially if you stop by the bar throughout the event!).
4. Billed as “serving the most authentic and traditional Mexican food in DFW,” Los Lupes has been serving up smiles for more than four decades. On Sunday evening, try one of the many tasty entrée options, like Brisket Nachos, Shrimp Tequila Dinner and Wild Boar. Later, sign up for Salsa Dallas’s class from 7-10 p.m. Sunday at Los Lupes. You will swing your hips on the dance floor as you learn new fun and sexy salsa moves. Whether you are a dancer or not or have a partner or not, this class will be fun for everyone.
5. After dinner on Friday and Saturday nights, Gloria’s Latin Cuisine turns into a nightclub until 2 a.m.! Dress up and spend the evening dancing as DJ’s spin popular music to get you moving. And on Friday night, Havana NRG will be playing live salsa music, so bring a partner, keep the tequila flowing and enjoy a spicy evening out.
6. Vinetti’s is celebrating New Orleans’ cuisine this weekend, with Jazz Brunch Sunday taking place from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Over a mouth-watering dinner – including a menu with a baked potato and pasta bar, a taco station, fried chicken, waffles fish and more – you can listen to iconic New Orleans singers: Rude Jude, Rob Kazi and Big Daddy the DJ. It’s an authentic Mardi Gras celebration, without having to leave town!
7. Cookies have never looked more delicious than they do this weekend, where the 2019 Girl Scouts Cookie Box Creations premieres Sunday at Galleria Dallas. The Girl Scouts of Northeast Texas have teamed with women architects and engineers to turn regular cookie boxes into amazing free-standing structures. See the display yourself – which was designed off the theme “Girls Around the World” – on Level 1 near Sephora, until April 14.
8. Meet Ekansh Tambe, the photographer featured in the latest installment of the AddisonArt Program at the Addison Conference and Theatre Centre, on Friday from 6-8 p.m.! Afterward, walk through the lobby and see his powerful photography collection of 66 images that display international borders in three major areas of the world. These will remain showcased on the walls of the Centre through March 22.
9. It’s a new month – and time for a fresh start! Work out and learn to eat better at Jannie’s Fitness Rehab to Clean Eating Workshop from 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Saturday at the Hilton Garden Inn in Addison. This two-hour event will teach you exercises, strength training, mental clarity and tips on making healthy eating a part of your lifestyle. Participants will be challenged and inspired to live their best lives, which includes learning 12 steps to reach your goals and sustain a healthy weight. It’s a fun way to jumpstart your workout routine for spring!