Sydni Ellis grew up in the great state of Texas, where she learned to love chips and salsa and hot weather. She has a master’s degree in Journalism from the University of North Texas, and she currently works in the College Communications, Marketing and Outreach office at Richland College. Some of her passions include writing, traveling and re-reading the Harry Potter Series every chance she gets. In the spirit of spontaneity, Sydni lives her life with a pen in one hand and her video camera in the other; ready to capture the next great story.
Whether you crave a peaceful Sunday morning quietly browsing stunning pieces of art, or a wild Saturday night cheering on the Cowboys during their next playoff game, you can find it all in our list of 10 Things to Do This Weekend. Below, you’ll find tips for finding adventure, laughter and pancakes right here in the Corridor!
Start and end your weekend with Happy Hour specials that take place on Friday and Sunday nights!
1. Order a round of beers for your friends at Lawry’s The Prime Rib during Happy Hour, which takes place from 4:30-7 p.m. Friday and Sunday. All domestic beers, including Budweiser, Bud Light, Miller Light, Coors Light, Shiner Bock, Sam Adams and Michelob Ultra, are just $4 each. You can also get Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Grigio and Blush wine for $5 per glass, a Crown and Down for $6 and speciality drinks (excluding martini’s) for $1 off.
2. Discover new favorites or sip on classic cocktails at Happy Hour at Al Biernat’s North, Friday and Sunday from 3-7 p.m. Here, guests will get $2 off Bar Favorites cocktails, including the Texas Grapefruit Martini made with New Vodka, St. Germaine and fresh grapefruit juice, the Black Cherry Lemon-Drop made with Zodiac Black Cherry Vodka and fresh lemon juice and the Pisco Punch made with Cuarto G’s Pisco, pineapple gum syrup and fresh lemon juice. If you get hungry, order a Bar Bite, which are all 50 percent off during Happy Hour. We recommend the crab-stuffed jalapeños served with ranch dressing or the BBQ brisket taquitos served with red onion, queso fresco and pickled jalapeño!
3. Women are invited to the Boss Babes Happy Hour: Authentic Women in Business Chats Series on Friday from 5:30-7 p.m. at Blue Mesa Grill. Over drinks, women can network about what it means to be a business woman, entrepreneur and professional, as well as work together to promote community and collaboration over competition. Happy Hour specials include $4 large blue margaritas and well drinks, $5 house wine and $1 off draft beer, as well as access to the free quesadilla bar with any drink purchase.
Warm up by enjoying a spicy Mexican dish or a seasonal winter breakfast in the Corridor.
4. Known for their phenomenal Latin food, Mesero has everything you need to light up your taste buds this weekend. Start by sharing a plate of Quesadillas “Jardineras,” made with flour or corn tortillas, sautéed kale, mushroom, poblano pepper and queso chihuahua. Next, fill up on mouth-watering cheese or chicken enchiladas, made with a variety of mild to hot toppings; chicken, steak, pork, brisket or shrimp tacos; or grilled chicken or meat served with a colorful display of grilled veggies and rice and beans. Finish with a sweet choco flan or cinco leches dessert.
5. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, which means it should also be the most delicious! Stop by The Egg & I to try some of their winter meals and drinks before they’re gone. Options include the Wild Mushroom Frittata, an omelette made with spinach, Swiss cheese, house-roasted onions, crimini and shiitake mushrooms, and served with dressed greens and whole-grain toast; the Winter Hash, made with hardwood-smoked bacon, sausage, fresh kale, house-roasted crimini mushrooms, onions, Cheddar and Jack cheeses on top of seasoned ranch potatoes and topped with eggs, chipotle tomato hollandaise and fresh herbs with a side of English muffin; or the Cinnamon Chip Waffle, with cinnamon chips baked into the Belgian waffle, topped with housemate cinnamon butter and powdered sugar and served with two eggs and two strips of hardwood-smoked bacon or sausage patties. Wash it down with one of the two seasonal drinks: Orchard Roots, made with orange, carrot, organic ginger, Fuji apple and lime; or Kale Cooler, made with kale, Fuji apple, cucumber and lemon. Everything is so good, you’ll have to keep coming back to make sure you can try it all!
Mix live music with an exciting football game for a fun Saturday night!
6. Cheer on the Dallas Cowboys as they battle the Rams in the second playoff game of the season this Saturday at Union Park Addison. Doors open at 5 p.m. (the game starts at 7:15 p.m.) and DJ Flip will be on site providing live mixes. After the Boys win—fingers crossed!—party the night away as Union Park Addison turns into Saturdays Evolve, featuring live jazz music from 9:30-11 p.m., a live DJ playing Neo soul music from 11 p.m.-midnight and a live DJ playing hip-hop, R&B and reggae from midnight until close. If you are looking for a rowdy crowd that knows how to have fun, Union Park Addison is the perfect place to be.
Heartfelt comedies and vivid pieces of art are guaranteed to light up your weekend.
7. Two very different actors—Kevin Hart, known for his stand-up comedy routines and big screen roles like “Ride Along” and “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle”; and Bryan Cranston, known for playing the lead role in the serious “Breaking Bad” TV Show as well as his share of comedies like “Why Him?”—join together for the beautifully hilarious film, “Upside.” Premiering Friday night at LOOK Cinemas and Village on the Parkway 9, “Upside” is about a recently paroled ex-convict (Hart) and a paralyzed billionaire (Cranston) who become close friends. The fact that the film is based on a true story just makes it that much sweeter!
8. “Dazzling” is the best way to describe the new original works and limited edition prints by Liudmila Kondakova, which depict a variety of brilliant, colorful concepts—like a suitcase filled with a collection of the world’s treasures traveling through space and surrounded by beautiful flowers in bubbles. See the exhibit titled “The Romance of Realism” at the Martin Lawrence Galleries inside Galleria Dallas this weekend. There will be an opening reception and a chance to meet the artist on Saturday night from 6-8 p.m. Afterward, explore the works in person and appreciate her attention to detail and creativity showcased in her gorgeous artwork.
Work on your health and personal goals by attending one of these local events this weekend.
9. The beginning of the year is the perfect time to plan for the future. Join local women for the Sip and See Vision Board Experience from 6:30-10:30 p.m. Jan. 11 at the Addison TreeHouse, where you can create an empowering vision board to motivate you for the future. It’s a great chance to connect with other women, while learning how to make your dreams a reality.
10. Get a jumpstart on your New Year’s resolution to work out more by signing up for the Hotcake Hustle on Saturday! Here, you can either participate in a Fun Run, 5k or 10k run around Addison. Afterward, reward yourself with a free stack of hot, fresh pancakes from Denny’s, coffee, hot cocoa, beer or Truly Spiked Sparkling Water! Afterward, attend the after party, visit the vendor booths and collect your free race shirt, finisher’s mug and medal—and get your fill up warm, fluffy pancakes! It’s the most delicious way to start your day.