Filling up on delicious pie and turkey and taking plenty of long, cozy naps last week was exhausting—and has made going back to work this week feel like one extra-long Monday! Luckily, our list of 9 Things to Do This Weekend is the motivation you need to make it until Friday. From drink specials to meeting Santa Claus, this weekend brings a dose of holiday cheer to re-energize you before the busiest month of the year.
Your bank account may be hurting after a holiday shopping spree last weekend, but that doesn’t mean you have to skip out on drinks! These local drink specials are kind on your wallet and your taste buds.
- You deserve the best—and Al Biernat’s North can give it to you for $2 off! Join them for Happy Hour on Friday from 3-7 p.m. for $2 off cocktails, including Jesse’s Top Shelf Margarita, Black Berry Dora, Citrus Champagne, Berry Martini, Pearl Plum Cosmo and more. In the mood for beer? A wide selection of domestic, imported and local beer is available at $1 off. You can also snack on bar food while there, for 50 percent off select items including the Texas Wagyu-Angus Sliders and the Crab Stuffed Jalapeños!
- Enjoy an afternoon pick-me-up at Nate’s Seafood and Steakhouse, with Happy Hour specials from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday and noon-4 p.m. Sunday. This includes $1 off all liquor, all bottled beer, all wine and premium and microbrew pints; $.50 off regular pints; and $2 domestic pints. On Sunday, you can also get $2.50 Pacifico and Tecate cans, $3 Heineken and $3 Modello pints. After a quick drink (or two!), you’ll be ready to hit the Town again!
- Ginger Roasted Duck is on the menu at Thai Spice, made with fresh ginger sauce, basil, bell pepper, onion, Gai Lan, snow peas, water chestnuts, Shiitake mushroom, baby Boy Choy, broccoli and Jasmine rice. Other hot dinner options include Grilled Sea Bass, Mango Seabass, Soft Shell Crab Thai Basil and Crispy Pad Thai and Sea Scallop. Of course, you can always just stop by for a cup of noodles or bite of curry to satisfy your spicy food craving!
- End your weekend with a first-class brunch, hosted by Kenny’s Wood Fired Grill. Both sweet and savory options are available, including Hutch’s Grand Marnier French Toast and Chicken and Waffles for those with a sweet tooth, and a Bacon and Egg Burger or Kenny’s Chicken Fried Steak and Eggs for meat lovers. Also, be sure to try Kenny’s Spin on Benedict made with toasted brioche, poached eggs, béarnaise and asparagus or Eggs New Orleans, complete with fried eggs, roasted pork, truffle Colby jack grits, sautéed spinach, béarnaise and port demi grace. Who knew mornings could be this amazing?
According to one of our favorite holiday movies starring Will Ferrell, “The best way to spread holiday cheer is singing loud for all to hear!” Check out these groups offering plenty of cheer this weekend.
5. The Dallas String Quartet, known for their perfect mix of classical music with modern pop hits, will be performing live at Vitruvian Lights on Saturday from 6-10 p.m.! This talented group is made up of composer and violist Ion Zanca, violinists Eleanor Dunbar and Melissa Priller and bassist Young Heo. They have played for Presidents Obama and Bush, the College Football Playoff, the NBA and the NFL, as well as in sold-out venues and alongside Josh Groban and the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Hearing this beautiful music surrounded by sparkling Christmas lights will be one magical evening you don’t want to miss!
- Chill out with jazz music this weekend at Soho Food and Jazz. Jordan Lawrence Jazz will be kicking off Friday night from 6-8 p.m., followed by the Jordan Lawrence Jazz Trio from 8:30 p.m.-12:30 a.m. On Saturday, catch Luqman Rashada, modern funk musician, play from 6-8 p.m., followed by Will St. Peter Jazz Trio from 8:30 p.m.-12:30 a.m. Finally, the lovely piano sounds of Sergio Pamies will light up the night from 7-11 p.m. Sunday.
Take your picture with Santa, drink warm coffee, make your own holiday decor and more at the festive events going on around Town this weekend!
- Lace up your tennis shoes for the Addison Legacy Foundation’s Run the Lights 5K and Fun Run, beginning at 5:30 p.m. Friday night! Run or walk along the trail, surrounding by millions of twinkling Christmas lights. You’ll be glowing in the dark as well when you put on your neon yellow race shirt and LED Santa hat, which are free with your ticket. After completing the race and accepting your finisher’s medal, visit the after party to take photos with Santa, fill up on beer and refreshments from food trucks, listen to music and participate in other holiday activities. It’ll be the most fun you ever had while exercising!
- Fill your home with holiday decorations you made yourself! Join the Addison Athletic Club’s Nature-Inspired Holiday Decorations event Saturday morning from 9:30-11 a.m. Let your creative side roam free as you learn how to create festive and organic holiday decorations with natural elements, including acorns and zinnias. You’ll leave with one-of-a-kind decor that you can enjoy year after year.
- Learn more about the Addison City Council and enjoy festive, family-friendly activities at the same time by attending the Holiday Brunch and Open House from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sunday (open only to Addison residents). Santa and Mrs. Claus will be onsite offering complimentary photos, holiday music will be playing, and ice-skating and a special kids’ arts and crafts section will be available for your enjoyment! Also, please consider bringing a new and unwrapped toy for the Santa’s Heroes Toy Drive.