There are so many things to do before you travel overseas. The process can feel overwhelming. Don’t worry though, we have a few tips for you on how to prepare yourself before you head off to another world! Just sit back, relax, and read these tips on how to prepare.
1.Plan ahead! This is a must! Yes, in the movies, people travel to random, exotic places all the time on a whim. But that’s just it, it’s a movie. In reality, you should plan ahead for your overseas trip at least six months in advance! This gives you time to to all the other stuff on this list without worrying you forgot something.
2. Make sure you have your passport! Having a passport is key into getting into almost every country. Some countries don’t require passports to get in, but you do need one to get back to the states. It can take about 2 months for your passport to process and you to receive it in the mail, depending on your situation. You can find where to get your passport at your local post office.
3. Make sure you have proper vaccines! This is very important! You can check with your doctor to make sure you are updated on all your vaccines. You also want to make sure you have vaccines for the country you are going to. Different countries have different common illnesses that aren’t necessarily common to us. The last thing you want is to catch a bug on your trip!
4. Register with your embassy! Do this just in case anything bad happens in the country you visit. It might be the last thing on your mind, but letting the embassy know you are there helps them get to you in case something bad does happen.
5. Look up conversion rate! Look up how much one dollar is worth at the country you are going to. This will help plan how much you will need to bring. Each country is different and ever changing, so plan for the most and take out a couple weeks beforehand. And you will want to bring cash, because not everyone take credit cards!
6. Buy tickets in advance! If you plan on going to a Disney World in a different country or a museum, then you might want to get tickets in advance. Some bigger places in that country will have a lot more tourism than others. Getting your tickets in advance will ensure your place and you won’t have to hassle with unnecessary delays.
7. Research proper mannerisms! Each country has different customs and mannerisms. In America, we can substitute things on our plates without a problem. In Japan, asking for a substitution is considered to be a little rude. Learn what other people in countries do during meals, what are common hand signals and so on. This will really help you make your visit go more smooth.
8. Invest in a guide book! Guide books will really help you get around the city! Get a guidebook with maps, best sights to see and a word glossary. Almost everyone knows a little bit of english in different countries, but not everyone.
These are 8 different ways of preparing before your big trip overseas! If you have any suggestions, let us know! Happy travels!